In the labs we'll be using C, flex and bison.
- Lexical analysis: regular expressions, NFAs, DFAs, conversion
algorithms from regular expressions to NFAs, DFAs and min-state DFAs.
- Syntax analysis: grammars, parsing, left factoring, left
recursion, ambiguity, LL(1) parsing, LR parsing (LR(1), SLR(1),
- Intermediate code generation: tree-address code, quadruples and
triples, syntax-directed translation, optimisation.
- Run-time structures: activation frames, memory/heap management and
manual memory allocation, garbage collection.
I'll be following this text fairly closely, so it's strongly
recommended that you get a copy.
More course information will be available through the
- Lectures: Tuesdays at 10.00 in CSR, Wednesdays at 09.00 in CS2
- Labs: Mondays 11.00-13.00 in Lab 4